Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Summer Program in Pediatric Medicine
Experience a one-week virtual deep dive into Pediatrics at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia summer program. Designed for rising high school juniors and seniors, this program is ideal for students interested in careers in the healthcare field, including medicine, nursing, respiratory therapy, physical therapy and occupational therapy. This program offers a mix of lecture-based and skill-based learning to provide a broad exposure to the various professions that specialize in the care of babies, children and young adults.
You must be entering Grade 11 or 12 during the 2021 – 2022 school year and you must have taken (or currently be taking) High School Level Biology in order to apply for admission to this summer program.
Admission is competitive and the process follows a pre-determined monthly review timeline. In order to complete an application for admission, you will be required to submit the following application requirements:
- Extracurricular Activities (You will be asked to provide descriptions of three extracurricular activities.)
- Honors or Awards (You may provide a description of up to three honors or awards you have received.)
- Essay (You will be asked to upload an essay. The prompt is as follows: “Aside from an assumed interest in medicine, why are you interested in the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Summer Program for High School Students? Do not exceed 300 – 400 words.”)
- School Information (including name, address, phone, type, guidance counselor information, GPA, class rank, etc.)
- Academic Transcript with Fall 2020 Grades including your Biology course (We accept unofficial and official transcripts and you will upload the item yourself.)
- Letters of Recommendation (We’ll require two submissions and one must be from a STEM Subject Instructor. You’ll find a full set of instructions in your account after you register and pay your application fee. You can upload the letters yourself, or your teacher/recommender can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org)
APPLICATION OPENS: January 12, 2021
APPLICATION CLOSES: April 30, 2021
This program employs a monthly rolling admission policy until all spots in the program have been filled.
Applications completed by April 30th will be the last group of applicants eligible for review.
Completed applications will be reviewed at the end of each month, with decisions released 2 weeks later. Review cycles will take place at the end of February, March, and April.
February 28 – Application complete and submitted for review.
March 12 – Decision date
March 19 – RSVP due (if accepted)
March 26 – Payment due
at Children’s Hospital in Phildelphia
VIRTUAL LEARNING SUMMER 2021
For Summer 2021, we will bring the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia campus to you, as we have transformed our on-campus courses into a customized, interactive, and robust online experience. Through close and meaningful virtual connections with faculty and peers, we guarantee that each student will be a vital part of our CHOP Summer Program online community.
Morning Session: 9:30AM – 12:00PM
Afternoon Session: 1:00PM – 3:00PM
Technology Use Guidelines
The information below will apply to 2022 when the in-person program resumes.
From meeting your new roommate, walking to class on the beautiful campus, eating in the dining halls, and taking classes in the historic buildings, you’ll get a taste of what life as a college student is really like. You’ll love the modern amenities, air-conditioned dorms, snack shops, WiFi and state-of-the-art buildings.
Many students come from around the world to join us each summer. Every year we hear how much students enjoy meeting people from all over the country and the world and how it opened their eyes to different parts of the globe.
Trips are offered every Saturday to regional destinations of your choice like New York City, Ocean City, Washington, DC, and more. And Sundays are for exploring the Philadelphia area.
Bowling, dances, casino night, and more – every evening there is a planned event. Sometimes we stay on campus and other nights we’ll travel to a local venue for an off-campus activity.
At the Children’s Hospital Summer Program in Pediatric Medicine You may:
- Virtually tour a state of the art pediatric surgical training laboratory
- Learn ultrasound techniques
- Virtually tour the hospital
- Learn techniques of suturing & splinting
- Participate in practical experiences from home
- Learn from pediatricians at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Listen to and learn from guest speakers, specialists and medical lecturers
- Collaborate virtually with peers to complete an online assignment/project
I got to meet with students from all over the world, paving a path for me to make (hopefully) long-lasting relationships with them. They taught me that no matter where we are from, we will always find a way to relate with one another and use our curiosity to create tight bonds of friendship.
Through this experience, you will have the opportunity to learn from highly accredited faculty at one of the most prestigious children’s hospitals in the world. Learn the basics of the pediatric physical exam, suturing, an ultrasound and pediatric CPR techniques. You will also have the opportunity to see some laparoscopic surgical techniques in our state-of-the-art surgical lab.
This program is a unique opportunity to spend virtual time at an elite children’s hospital, learning about the diverse careers opportunities available within the field of pediatrics.
Virtual Summer Program
The pediatric medicine summer program curriculum is modeled on first-year med-school classes. It’s ideal for high school students interested in careers in pediatric medicine. The program exposes you to the basics of medical training while allowing you the opportunity to pursue or discover your passions and interests.
In a virtual setting, you will participate in interactive sessions led by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia faculty and doctors right in the hospital. Experience all this award-winning hospital offers its students and patients.
Prep for Your Career
Learn the basics of the pediatric physical exam, suture, perform an ultrasound, and become CPR certified. You will also have the opportunity to practice laparoscopic surgical techniques in the state-of-the-art surgical lab.
Learn from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Doctors
Through this experience, you will have the opportunity to learn from experienced doctors at one of the most prestigious children’s hospitals in the world, the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).